Build young athletes to achieve success in cycling and life.
- March 30 (1st week of April)
- July 12th (through USA Cycling Nationals @ Winter Park)
The BUILD Cycling Academy is designed to provide a positive, engaging cycling experience that accelerates the growth of all athletes in the program. It is a performance-focused program for aspiring young athletes seeking success in the MTB discipline. Athletes will participate in 2-3x training sessions per week and receive team support at team races. Athletes should plan to race select regional USA Cycling events during the summer (4-5 events). The program will prepare athletes to have a successful NICA High School season in the Fall.
The program is designed for the high-school-aged athlete that is interested in racing competitively. Prior racing experience is not required, but a high level of commitment and a strong desire to improve and compete are expected.
In order to provide an effective development environment for all participants the program may include a tryout and/or selection process. The goal of the selection process is to ensure that riders will have teammates of similar capabilities to race and train with, not simply to select the most talented or experienced athletes.
Jeff Winkler is the head coach of the program. Additional mentors and assistant coaches will be available as needed from BUILD’s pool of elite athletes (U23 and Pro athletes). The goal is to keep a low athlete-to-coach ratio and maximize one-on-one contact during practices and races.
- TrainingPeaks.com account and weekly on-the-bike training plan
- TrainHeroic account for off-the-bike strength program
- Practices – Tuesdays/Thursdays (4:30-6:30pm) (option to adjust summer schedule)
- Early-season Performance Camp (Apr/May) – athlete performance testing and training camp
Team Races (pending final schedule)
- Ridgeline Rampage
- Battle the Bear
- Bailey Junior Weekend
- GoPro Games – Vail
- USA National Championships – Winter Park
- CU Short Track Series (most Wednesdays during summer)
Other Team Activities
- Kickoff Meet & Greet with parents and athletes
- Pre-race Meetings with parents and athletes (4-5 sessions)
- Team Building Field Trip (off-the-bike fun activity day in April) (additional fees may apply)
- $1100 for April through mid-July
- $400 add-on for May Performance Mini-Camp